Julian Franco dies
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:40 am | Updated: 12:20 pm, Wed May 11, 2011. 0 comments
An elderly Fort Stockton man died and another person was injured in a house fire Sunday morning, according to Jessie Dominguez of the Fort Stockton Volunteer Fire Department.
Dominguez said the fire in the 900 block of James Street killed Julian Franco, 87. His body was discovered once the smoke had begun to clear from the scene, Dominguez said.
The condition of Bonafacio Franco, 81, was not available Monday. Bonafacio Franco was transported to Medical Center Hospital in Odessa and treated for smoke inhalation, according to media reports.
FSVFD was dispatched and arrived at the fire at about 9:30 a.m. Sunday to find the structure emitting heavy smoke, with the fire located in the center of the structure, Dominguez said.
One person was immediately rescued and transported to Pecos County Medical Center. Dominguez said a rescue team attempted to go into the house and locate Franco, but was forced to turn back after failing to locate his body following a roof collapse.
Dominguez said the cause of the fire was an electrical short in the attic. Because the fire involved a fatality, the State Fire Marshal's Office will assist in the investigation, he said.
Dominguez said FSVFD committed six units and 21 firefighters to the fire.
One dead, one hospitalized in Fort Stockton house fire Comments 2 May 10, 2011 8:51 AM ODESSA AMERICAN One elderly man died and another was transported to Medical Center Hospital after the house they were in caught fire Monday morning in Fort Stockton.
Around 9:30 a.m., members of the Fort Stockton Volunteer Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 905 West James St., Fort Stockton, a State Fire Marshal’s news release stated.
The home was occupied by 81-year-old Bonifacio Franco, 88-year-old Julian Franco and three children younger than 5, the release stated. After the fire started, the three children were able to exit the house tell family members across the street about the fire, the release stated.
Family member Michael Franco was able to get inside the house and rescue Bonifacio Franco, who was transported to MCH. A spokeswoman with the hospital said Franco was in fair condition Monday afternoon.
Julian Franco was discovered inside a bedroom and died from smoke inhalation, the release stated.
The fire is believed to have started from an electrical malfunction. There were no smoke detectors in the house, the release stated.
Investigator John Kondratick with the State Fire Marshal’s said in an email that structural damage and damage to electrical wiring in the attic, along with witness statements, led to the department’s conclusion about the cause.
Investigators with the Texas Rangers, State Fire Marshal’s Office, Fort Stockton Police and Fort Stockton Volunteer Fire Department investigated the case, the release stated.